Monday, February 8, 2016

Guest Post: @DaneCobain

Let's welcome author Dane Cobain. He is here to talk about his book and also about how he manages his time while writing!
So, move on and learn more about him :)


How I Maximise My Time While Writing

Writers are always busy – it comes with the territory. Almost every writer that I know feels like there isn’t enough time in the day, and as depressing as it sounds, I’m kind of lucky that I don’t have kids, or a girlfriend. Kids and girlfriends take time when I could be writing.

I can’t believe I just said that…

Anyway, today I wanted to talk about how I maximise my time, a skill that all writers (and creative people in general) need to think about. After all, being a writer isn’t just a case of putting pen to paper – there’s marketing to think about, as well as editing and proofreading and cover design of any books that you’re bringing to market.

In fact, the vast majority of the time that I spend writing goes into other pursuits, with marketing and editing being the two biggies that take up the most time. Planning takes quite a while, too.
That’s why I’ve developed a system to help me to maximise my time where possible, to get the most out of the hours that are available to me. It starts at work – I’m a smoker, and so I write my poetry on my cigarette breaks. By doing that, I can usually get a regular poem completed, as well as a postcard poem for my new Postcard Poetry Project, and I sometimes have some time left over to work on planning.
When it comes to my poems, I perform them, and my debut collection of poetry, Eyes Like Lighthouses When the Boats Come Home, is due for release within the next couple of months. Of the 101 poems in the collection, I’ve memorised around eighty of them, and I perform them regularly at open mic nights.
Maximising my time plays another part here – I memorise them whilst jogging by simply repeating them over and over again, so I’m getting physically and mentally fit at the same time. You’ll notice here that I tend to multitask – I’m good at it, and I do it all of the time. I can’t watch a film unless I’m working at the same time, for example.
I also have something called ‘The Schedule’, which helps me to get things done. It has a lot of complicated rules, and it’s very OCD, but broadly speaking, I sit there and listen to music and change activity every time a song changes:
1.      Computer stuff: Formatting blog posts, responding to e-mails, etc.
2.      Tidying: Keeping the house clean – if it’s already clean, I read instead of tidying
3.      Writing: Writing all sorts of stuff, like books and this guest post
4.      Go back to step one
It’s an unusual system, and I can’t remember how it came about, but it’s one that seems to work, at least for me. After all, that’s how I finished off this post, and this was the last thing on my to-do list before cracking on with working on my books. And so with that, I’m going to bid you farewell – stay productive!



Dane Cobain is a writer, poet and musician from a place you've probably never heard of, somewhere in England. When he's not writing books, he's reading and reviewing them on his book blog - SocialBookshelves.com - or working at his day job in social media marketing. 
Find him at Facebook.com/DaneCobainMusic or follow @DaneCobain on Twitter.


No Rest for the Wicked: Synopsis



When the Angels attack, there’s NO REST FOR THE WICKED.Father Montgomery, an elderly priest with a secret past, begins to investigate after his parishioners come under attack, and with the help of Jones, a young businessman with an estranged child, Montgomery begins to track down the origin of the Angels.The Angels are naked and androgynous. They speak in a dreadful harmony with no clear leader. These aren’t biblical cherubs tasked with the protection of the righteous – these are deadly creatures of light that have the power to completely eradicate.When Jones himself is attacked, Father Montgomery knows he has to act fast. He speaks to the Angels and organises a final showdown where he’s asked to make the ultimate sacrifice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!!
Leave me a link to your blog and I'll make sure to visit your blog ASAP :)

Search This Blog

Pageviews