Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Review: Dealing with Devils @PembrokeSinclai


Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)Title: Dealing with devils
Author: Pembroke Sincalir
Series: The Road to Salvation #2
Release Date: January 16th 2015 
Format: Paperback & ebook
Publisher: Booktrope
Source: complimentary copy in exchange of an honest review.

ADD TO GOODREADS

Dating a demon has its advantages, like helping deliver souls to Hell. Wait...what?

Katie’s world has been turned upside down. She's fallen for Josh—despite the fact that he’s a demon from Hell. Wes is finally out of her system and her life. Convinced she can change Josh, she sets out to make him a better person, only to find out things aren’t as simple as she’d originally thought. For one thing, Josh has Katie help him deliver souls to Hell, and she kind of likes it. And to top it off, other more powerful demons are battling for her soul, and revelations from the past could change the course of her life forever.

Pembroke SinclairI am an editor by day and a zombie-killer by night (at least in my books). Since the first time I watched Night of the Living Dead, I have been obsessed with zombies and I often think of ways to survive the uprising.
I have written YA novels about zombies and the tough teens who survive the apocalyptic world, along with adult novels in the sci fi and fantasy genres. I have also written kids' books under the pen name J.D. Pooker.
I have written nonfiction stories for Serial Killer Magazine and published a book about slasher films called Life Lessons from Slasher Films under my real name.

  WEBSITE | TWITTER | GOODREADS | AMAZON|
If you haven't read the first book, you shouldn't read this review. It might contain spoilers for book 1.

Dealing with Devils is book two in the series created by Pembroke Sinclair. This series is about the endless fight between good and evil. However, this book focuses in the demon side.

Now that Wes is out of the picture Katie is concentrating on her relationship with Josh. Ok, they may have had a rough start but now she is focused on the good things. She is convinced that she can change him, and that's pretty relatable, we all believe that love and our influence can change people. However, she starts to succumb to the "dark side" and realizes that maybe taking souls to Hell isn't so bad. My opinion about this is good, I said last time that Katie challenges our beliefs about right and wrong. She presents original scenarios where being "bad" seems a good choice. Of course the author did a bold move and the final explanation is really good.

This time I like Katie a bit more, once she decides to embrace the perks of dating a demon she comes out of her shell. She no longer takes crap from people and she's not afraid of speaking her mind. Good points for this.

I missed Wes, even though when you really think about it he had few scenes in the first book. But what I'm saying is that this book lacks the good side, we get to really know Hell. I think it's great and it's well described but without the "good" this is a book about a girl dating a demon and enjoying it.

Another thing I didn't enjoy was Josh change of personality. I remembered him being more bad-ass, more selfish and scary. This time he sounded a little bit soppy, it was too much sugar for me. And the way he acted around Braden, let's say he seemed a scared chick.

When you look at the big picture, the plot follows the line created by the first and the ending helps the series to carry on. Hell, as I said, is great, its incorporation helps expand the world.

Overall, it is a good sequel. If you enjoyed the first book you should read this one.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll wait until the series is complete before starting--hate waiting :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!!!

Search This Blog

Pageviews