Friday, September 26, 2014

Review: Who Am I? by @MeganCyrulewski

Who Am I?: How My Daughter Taught Me to Let Go and Live Again
Title: Who Am I? How my daughter taught me to let go and live again.
Author: Megan Cyrulewski
Release Date: July 31st 2014
Format: Paperback & E-book
Publisher:
Black Opal Books
Source: complimentary copy in exchange of an honest review.

ADD TO GOODREADS
Megan Cyrulewski is an ordinary person who has faced extraordinary challenges and now wants to inspire people and show them that hope gives them the power to survive anything. Who Am I? is about her journey into post-partum depression, anxiety disorder, panic attacks, visits to the psych ward, divorce, domestic violence, law school, and her courageous struggle to survive with her sanity intact—and how a beautiful little girl emerged from all this chaos.

Megan Cyrulewski has been writing short stories ever since she was ten-years-old.  Eventually she settled into a career in the non-profit sector and then went back to school to get her law degree.  While she was in school, she documented her divorce and child custody battle in her memoir, Who Am I? How My Daughter Taught Me to Let Go and Live Again, which was released on August 2, 2014.  Megan lives in Michigan with her 3-year-old daughter who loves to dance, run, read, and snuggle time with Mommy.  Megan also enjoys her volunteer work with Troy Youth Assistance as the Fundraising Chair on the Board of Directors.

 
AMAZON  - B & N  - SMASHWORDS  - KOBO  - ARe
"Who Am I?" Is a difficult book to talk about. Why? Well, because rating someone suffering and struggle is not easy. Megan decided to tell her story and share it with the world as a way to move on and help others. And just because of that she deserves a round of applauses.

In this book Megan tells us about living in an abusive relationship, dealing with a messy divorce, finishing law school and learning to be a parent. The book is a narration of events as she lived them. We have entire conversations, emails and more. With a good use of words and personal reflections the book is fast to read.

Unfortunately there were things I didn't like. I totally understand the way she feels towards her ex-husband but for moments it was too much. I couldn't continue reading what it felt like a list of all the things he did wrong. I know this is normal because I do the same when I'm mad (I know people who are bad parents and being a teacher is easy to get angry at their behavior). I just think that maybe she could have used the book to talk more about how to move on from the relationship. She does it but in few words and pages.

Also, it feels to me she could have shared more about post-partum depression. I'm not being noisy, it's just that as she said, PPD is still a hard topic and many people (myself included) don't know much about it. She gives us an idea of what is like to live with it but I would have liked to hear a bit more.

However, I think Megan deserves credit for taking the matter in her hands and dealing with all the crap life put in her way. The love she feels for her daughter is palpable through the words. And I think the book in general can be helpful for other in her situation. It’s not easy to share your problems, concerns and doubts with the world but Megan can do it with good results.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!!

Search This Blog

Pageviews