Friday, May 16, 2014

Awakening Foster by Cara Rosalie Olsen @CaraR_Olsen - Review


Awakening Foster Kelly
Title: Awakening Foster
Author: Cara Rosalie Olsen
Release Date: June 22nd 2013
Format: Paperback & E-book
Source: complimentary copy from the author in exchange of an honest review.
If only a pile of wayward curls and the inability to stay on her feet were seventeen year-old Foster Kelly’s most pressing concerns. Unfortunately, stubborn hair and clumsiness is just the tip of it. It was only a mistake, but when at the age of five Foster is told “You don’t belong here” the result is one broken heart. These four carelessly spoken words have shaped and shadowed Foster, and now—a senior at Shorecliffs High School—she seeks the wallflower’s existence, denying herself the most casual of friendships, much too afraid that someone will see what Foster believes is certain: she does not belong anywhere – or with anyone. This reality would continue to suit her just fine, however . . .
Love has a long-standing history of undoing broken hearts.
Like a comet, an unexpected arrival knocks Foster out of the crowded, starry sky, sending her directly into the limelight. Exposed and afraid, she will attempt to regain anonymity; but it isn’t so easy now that someone is watching. He pursues this shy enigma, confronting Foster’s deepest fears head-on, and in the process falls wholly and completely in love with her. But there is something he is not saying; a secret capable of certain ruin. There are two probable outcomes: either he will break her heart once and for all, or he will heal it.
In the end, though, it is Foster who must decide if she is worth mending.
** ADD IT TO YOUR TBR-LIST: GOODREADS

** BUY IT: AMAZON | B&N

** FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Book WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOODREADS | AMAZON| Author Website


****** 
MY REVIEW.  
My Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Before writing this review I had to take a time away from books and the computer because I was left really stunned and empty. I’m sure that if I had written this review yesterday it would have been a mess of thoughts and angry statements. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed a lot Awakening Foster Kelly because is definitely a different story.

Let me start by telling you that this book is about a really broken, complicated, insecure but equally beautiful person. I know most people won’t understand Foster, but for me she is an incredible character, human in so many levels. Maybe because I could relate so much with her I think she is more than the heart of the book. For those who ever suffered from social anxiety, panic to public speeches or presentations, you will see that many of her torments are real and are well described.

This shy girl is faced with a beautiful, honest, charming boy who is there to save her. Dimitri is everything she needs and more. Their relationship is raw, chaotic but sweet and innocent because here you have a girl who needs to learn to love herself before experiencing romantic love.

It’s true that the author uses long, detailed descriptions about everything. From a room to a simple thought or dream, nothing in this book is simple or concrete. I didn't find this annoying or thought about it as a bad thing. For me it felt natural because I have a tendency to ramble in my head and I enjoy extensive sentences about nothing and all at the same time. However, I have to be honest and I will say that there will be readers who will find this unnecessary and boring.

Now, let’s go to the cause of my anger. As I said I adore Foster and I was loving her story up to location 80% (in my kindle) when suddenly the story goes takes a turn for the worse. There is a critical point there (an explanation we have been waiting) that simply feels too weak. None of the thousands of scenarios I imagined could have prepared me for this. But I could live with that, my major problems were the last 2 chapters. My only though was why?? I was so mad with the author about what she did to the character that I almost gave up at 96 percent.

Anyway, now that I had time to come to terms with the book and the finale, I can say that I liked the book. Awakening Foster Kelly is not a book for everyone but is a book that you will enjoy if you are up to the ride.

BTW, I’ve read some reviews complaining about the grammar issues in the book, for me is really hard to find them because I’m not a native English speaker, there were words that I found interesting but they gave the book a nice touch.

Overall, a character with a real soul, a fear of life but with a great a passion for music and helping others is what you will find in this book. A sweet YA contemporary romance with long and meticulous dialogues and scenes.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting. I am glad you enjoyed it. I really like the cover, it is very eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great review! I haven't heard about this book but it sounds good, mysterious, heartbreaking...I love the cover. And Dimitri sounds like a sweetheart. This book sounds like a coming of age story which I like. But you definitely have me curious as to what made you angry lol! :)

    Love ya, girl! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!!!
Leave me a link to your blog and I'll make sure to visit your blog ASAP :)

Search This Blog

Pageviews