Monday, March 17, 2014

Unintentional Virgin by A.J. Bennett - Review

Monday review. I was lucky enough to received a copy from the publisher via Netgalley. As you will see in my review this is one of those books people hate or love. For me it was a good read with great topics.

Unintentional VirginTitle: Unintentional Virgin
Author: A.J. Bennet
Release Date:
September 19th 2013
Format:
E-book & Paperback
Publisher:
Amazon Digital Services.
Karma Points is cursed. Cursed with a stupid name and the inability to lose her virginity. She's on a mission to lose her virginity before she turns twenty if it's the last thing she does.
One night, her good friend Eva brings her to an underground club where Karma meets a tattooed bouncer. He’s far from the clean-cut type she normally falls for, which makes her think this finally might be the night she crosses the threshold of womanhood.
Excited, she goes home with the bouncer named Jax and as always, her dreams crash down once again. Jax cannot believe she is willing to give away her virginity to a stranger she met at a club. As the only son with five sisters and a widowed mom, he can't morally go through with it, even though he's never been more tempted in his life.
Unwilling to let her walk away he strikes a deal. Karma has to spend three weeks dating him and then decide if she wants to have sex or walk away.
ADD IT TO YOUR TBR-LIST: GOODREADS

BUY IT: AMAZON | B&N 


FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE AUTHOR: WEBSITE | FB | TWITTER | GOODREADS 


*****
MY REVIEW.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Unintentional Virgin is a book with a great premise, mixed reviews and short length that ends up being a story you love or hate. Summarizing, Karma Points is a twenty-year-old virgin in search of a lucky guy to lose her v-card.

Let me start by saying that the premise or blurb is just the tip of the iceberg. It’s easy to say that this is a NA romance with sexual tension and a girl discovering herself. For me, this book is more than that because through Karma and all her issues, the author deals with a lot of topics. Childhood traumas, bad parenting and self-love are some of the themes of the book.

I know the first thing you notice is the name. Seriously, who could name her daughter: KARMA POINTS? Well… nowadays people name their kids with some crazy names so why not Karma. And besides, the explanation given is believable.

Jax is the chosen guy to take her virginity. However, he decides to first getting to know her by going out for three weeks. He is described as this hot, sexy man with an amazing body. However, for some reason I’m not a big fan of him. True, he helps her to build some confidence in herself and is more than a pretty face but he is too perfect to be true. He used to be a boxer but quit because of the danger of suffering brain damage and now is a fireman. Because he has four sisters he is a true gentleman and doesn’t do one night stands… really??? Maybe the only thing missing was him dress as a prince on top of a white horse. I know I’m complaining about silly stuffs but I need my characters to be real and he is not, where are his flaws?

Now to the good stuffs, I love Karma. For me she is a well thought character and with a solid past. As someone who had to study a lot of child psychology I can assure you that the smallest mean word can damage a kid in terrible ways. Her low self-esteem has strong arguments and valid points.

The relationship between Karma and her dads is amazing. I know some people find their interaction a bit odd or unreal. But take this for someone who has an open and healthy relationship with her parents, you can discuss sex, drugs and more with your parents without prejudices. I don’t know if this is the best or if it could work for everyone, but it is possible.

There were few little details I didn’t enjoy related to her mom. I think her appearance was not necessary and the second time she has a scene the outcome was too forced.

As I said at the beginning, the book has the sexual tension necessary to keep the reader intrigued and eager to read more. The heat between Karma and Jax is really strong. I don’t want to spoil anything but I love the breaking point between them. Many truths were spoken in that moment about how movies, books and fiction create false expectations in all of us.

Overall, I really enjoy this book. If you like NA book and the sexual tension, you should read it. It's up to you if you love it or hate it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruty!

    Just wanted to stop by and say hello! Wow, this one sounds good. I must have missed it on netgalley. Jax sounds hot, but I totally agree with you, I get turned off when the hero sounds too perfect. Karma Points is definitely a weird name, but you are right, people come up with some strange names for their kids these days!

    Anyway, hope all is well!

    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karma Points is weird, but in thw Philippines, we have even weirder ones. >:) I'm not into NA but I'm curious about the breaking point you mentioned, Ruty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!!!

Search This Blog

Pageviews