Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Searching for Beautiful by Nyrae Dawn - Review

Searching for BeautifulTitle: Searching for Beautiful 
Author: Nyrae Dawn 
Release Date: March 4th 2014 
Format: E-book & Paperback 
Publisher: Entangled Teen 
Before it happened… 
Brynn had a group of best friends, a boyfriend who loved her, a growing talent for pottery. She had a life.
And then…she had none. 
After it happened… 
Everything was lost. The boy she now knew never loved her. The friends who felt she betrayed their trust. The new life just beginning to grow inside her.
Brynn believes her future is as empty as her body until Christian, the boy next door, starts coming around. Playing his guitar and pushing her to create art once more. She meets some new friends at the local community center, plus even gets her dad to look her in the eye again…sort of.
But letting someone in isn’t as easy as it seems. 
Now… 
Can Brynn open up her heart to truly find her life’s own beauty, when living for the after means letting go of the before?

ADD IT TO YOUR TBR-LIST: GOODREADS

BUY IT: AMAZON | B&N


FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE AUTHOR: WEBSITE | FB | TWITTER | GOODREADS 


*****
MY REVIEW.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
(Thanks to the publisher for the copy).

Searching for Beautiful is a YA book with all the classical elements of the genre, an anguished teenager girl, the sweet boy, tears and drama. However, the author achieves to create a book that is more than a simple story about redemption, forgiveness, friendship, grief, moving on and love.

To be totally honest, somewhere around page sixty of my copy I was about to dump this book because of the constant reminder of her suffering and self-pity. But I decided to keep reading and it turned out to be a good story. When I finally could relate with Brynn and understand some of her choices I was able to enjoy the story. Basically the blurb summarized it perfectly, after a tragic event in Brynn’s life she makes some choices that leave her alone and sad. Then, little by little she picks up the pieces of her life with the help of the boy next door.

Brynn is a bit selfish and really self-centered at first but once I realized that most teenagers believe they are the center of the universe, I started to comprehend Brynn and her actions. It’s true that most of the time I wanted to punch her for not talking to someone and it was annoying to see her wallowing in her own pain. But again, teenagers feel with more intensity and every bad thing seems like the end of the world.

Jason is the perfect villain. I know most people will hate him but let’s be honest, there are hundreds of guys like him out there and I think he can be a great warning for all the readers. Still, I couldn’t find the justification of Brynn not knowing who he was convincing enough.

Christian was the sweet boy she needed as support and as an anchor. My favorite thing about him is that he is not perfect; he is a bit temperamental for moments. There were other characters, for example Brynn’s father, Brenda and Emery. Each one, despite having a small part on the story, has an important role from a different position.

The story has some jumps into the past, this allow us to see what happened before and see the evolution of Brynn and the story. The language is simple but engaging and easy to follow. There are long internal conversations and arguments while Brynn is figuring out who she can trust and how to heal.

Mainly what convinced me to continue reading the book was the message the author tries to deliver. Life is not easy and there is no right or wrong in how to live it. We are supposed to make mistakes in our lives, is how we face the consequences what is important. Each person deals with the hard times in their own way and we shouldn’t be judging others for how they choose to manage the pain and suffering, we cannot expect for all to be as strong as some people.

Overall, this is a really good YA book. If you like the genre I’m sure you will like it because it has the growing up issues you expect, the sweet romance and the teenager drama you want. For me it was a good read, the general theme as I said in the previous paragraph was excellent but the first part of the book was slow and it took me a while to find the story appealing.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ruty!

    I mentioned Searching for Beautiful in My Picks of the Week post a couple of days ago! I was wondering if it was any good. You're review is EXACTLY how I figured the book would turn out! It sounded interesting but I was worried it was going to turn out a bit generic. Yes, sometimes it is hard to be patient with YA characters. You constantly have to keep reminding yourself that teenagers are emotional creatures with crazy hormones. I am sure I would have been frustrated with Brynn as well!

    Awesome review and I am so glad I stopped by and saw this review since I listed it on my blog.

    Hope all is well!

    Your friend,
    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm Brynn doesn't really sound like the kind of heroine I would like but I really love Nyrae Dawn's writing so I'll probably still give this book a go. Thanks for the honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this one, I love all her books but I agree that it probably isn't for everyone. I am sorry you didn't like it just a little more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!!!
Leave me a link to your blog and I'll make sure to visit your blog ASAP :)

Search This Blog

Pageviews