Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Reece Malcolm List - Review

Welcome to a new review. I received an ecopy from NETGALLEY so my thanks to the publisher.
I have to say that I was reluctant to read it at first because it's hard to find a good contemporary YA but I'm glad it turned out to be a good book.
Keep reading and find out more.  

The Reece Malcolm List 
by Amy Spalding


The Reece Malcolm List
Things I know about Reece Malcolm:
1. She graduated from New York University.
2. She lives in or near Los Angeles.
3. Since her first novel was released, she’s been on the New York Times bestseller list every week.
4. She likes strong coffee and bourbon.
5. She’s my mother.

Devan knows very little about Reece Malcolm, until the day her father dies and she’s shipped off to live with the mother she’s never met. All she has is a list of notebook entries that doesn’t add up to much.

L.A. offers a whole new world to Devan—a performing arts school allows her to pursue her passion for show choir and musicals, a new circle of friends helps to draw her out of her shell, and an intriguing boy opens up possibilities for her first love.

But then the Reece Malcolm list gets a surprising new entry. Now that Devan is so close to having it all, can she handle the possibility of losing everything?


ADD IT TO YOUR TBR-LIST: GOODREADS
 

BUY IT: AMAZON | B&N

FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
 

WEBSITE | FB | TWITTER | GOODREADS 

*******
MY REVIEW. 

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Devan is a sixteen-year-old girl whose father has died and has been sent to L.A. to live with her mother. The only problem is that she has never met her mother before and most of her life didn’t even know her true identity. The only thing she knows is that Reece Malcom is a successful and famous writer.

After arriving to L.A. Devan is enrolled at an Art Performing School, she tries to fit in her mom’s routine and has to share the house with her mother’s boyfriend, who ends up being a funny and loving guy. With high and low moments, Devan will transform from a shy, lonely, invisible but talented girl into a friendly, confident, outspoken and secure girl.

A story where music & theatre are a central piece, an artistic girl who loves to sing and act, musicals and plays are perfect ingredient for drama and romance. A book where the emotions and feelings are well described, the intensity and passion behind each performance and how the character lives her singing are easy to picture.

Attending to the new school might be the best thing for Devan, friendship and romance will help her go through this point in her life, a new house, new town, new school and new mother. Some of the secondary characters are hilarious and have great dialogues.

To make things even more entertaining we have good doses of teenage love with Sai and Elijah, two completely different characters but either of them lovely and likeable. Despite some attitudes or choices, Sai is an interesting boy who makes the reading more fun.

The mother-daughter relationship seems inexistent at first but after discovering some facts about Reece we understand her more and I think that the main point is not what happened in the past or why some choices were made, this book is about moving forward, take what life puts on our ways and decid what we want for our future.

This is a fast, engaging and believable contemporary young adult book.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruty!

    I love the new design of your blog! I even like the font that you use for the text. My blog is in a desperate need for a make-over. My best friend who is really good at making websites plans on helping me give it a new look, but she has been extremely busy. I'm hoping I can make some changes sometime this summer.

    Anyway, The Reece Malcolm List sounds interesting and unique. It doesn't sound like the rest of the YA contemporary books out there, so I bet it was refreshing to read. So what didn't you like about the book? Or what could have used improvement?

    So don't laugh, but I finally will be doing my first blog tour! Well, I joined one for next week to promote Katy Evans' book REAL. I know you do them all the time. If I have any questions, I will be sure to come ask you for advice!

    Anyway, I just posted a new review for a book called Extreme Love by Abby Niles. It wasn't supposed to come out until April 30th but it is already being sold on amazon.com, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to review it a week early.

    Love ya girl!
    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stuck on the fact a mother left her child, and I'm not sure I can face why someone would do that.

    I sure couldn't, but then I was ready.

    I have to think about this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!!!
Leave me a link to your blog and I'll make sure to visit your blog ASAP :)

Search This Blog

Pageviews