Saturday, October 13, 2012

Breaking the Devil's Heart - Review

H.A. Goodman was kind enough to send me a copy of his book to review.  THANKS to him for the book :)

About the book...
The first thing I noticed was the cover. IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!  I love graffitis and this one has all the elements of a great piece of graffiti artwork. The blurb sounded really interesting so I decided to give it a try.


About the review...
I always write my reviews minutes after I'm done with the book. I like to have all my thoughts about it fresh in my mind and to have all the emotions, sensations, feelings still running all over my head.
But with this one, I needed to take my time before starting to putting my opinion into words. Don't get me wrong! It wasn't because I didn't like it or because it was bad. On the contrary, this book really left me wondering about some things and there were moments that triggered some strong emotions in me. I don't mind admitting that it even brought tears to my eyes and that some pages were hard to read.


Well, lets stop the chatter for now and let's get to the review.


*****

Breaking the Devil's Heart: A Logic of Demons Novel (Logic of Demons #2).
 
by H.A. Goodman.


When Stewart and Layla recruit a demon to spy on the Devil, their decision takes them on whirlwind ride through the afterlife.
Journey alongside this young couple in H. A. Goodman’s new novel, Breaking the Devil’s Heart, and join forces with a teenage Angel outcast to bankrupt Satan's underground Company and save Heaven from civil war.
H. A. Goodman's Breaking the Devil’s Heart is a rollercoaster afterlife experience that tests a young couple's love, their grasp on reality, and the essence of human nature.
What happens when Stewart and Layla tour Hell’s Marketing Department and Stock Exchange? What happens when their relationship is tested by Satan?
This book is unlike anything you’ve ever read, or ever thought the afterlife might be like.
Breaking the Devil’s Heart is an enlightening look into an alternate world, a new afterlife, and a profound journey inside the human conscience.

FIND IT ON:
Photobucket



   




******
 
MY REVIEW.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you could choose between Heaven and Hell for spend the eternity, what would you choose? If all the good and bad things you do in life will determine where you will spend eternity, would you think beforehand every action? Would you like to know what Heaven and Hell are like?

Breaking the Devil's Heart is a novel that takes you deep down the human essence and tries to find the source of human kindness and/or evilness. An intelligent approach to human behavior, to the causes of who we are as a race and to some atrocities which are part of our History.

Stewart and Layla are two Observers trying to find an antidote for “The Formula” (something that demons have been selling to humans). With an elaborate plan to bring down Satan’s company, the two of them will set in a journey full of discoveries about human nature and about themselves. In the course of their journey they will meet all of the different beings that inhabit the afterlife (angels and all). In an afterlife where demons trade with souls and deal with them like a stockbroker would deal with shares, Stewart finds himself trying to comprehended The Company, how The Formula works and a way to change the way things are.

The characters are well described, but in my opinion, the story itself overshadows them. The concept of what lays in the bottom of our actions is bigger than anything. How humans can hurt each other in ways sometimes unspeakable and how a person can find the strength to face the most horrendous situations is a topic that may seem overwhelming. However, Goodman does an excellent job writing and transmitting, through his book and the different scenarios, all that is necessary to understand this world.

The book is intriguing, not only because all the Hell and Heaven thing, but also because the writing style and the phrases that open every chapter. Also, it never lacks action and things take a 180 degree turn from page to page. Every time you may think you figure something out a new twist comes and everything is upside down.

If you enjoy books that take you on a ride in a rollercoaster of emotions, a book that make you question yourself, with a well-built background and with a different approach to a theme common to all of us, this book is for you.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this one! I've seen this one floating around once in a while and it does sound really interesting so I'm glad you liked this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spooky cover! Perfect for this month's reading I guess :D
    I haven't read a lot of books about Heaven & Hell, but I will check this out soon!
    Glad you enjoyed it!
    Lovely review!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!!!

Search This Blog

Pageviews