Sunday, July 1, 2012

Freaks of the Heartland - New review

Hi everyone! Today I bring the review of a new genre to this blog. My very first graphic novel. It was a nice change and I'm definitly going to keep reading books of this genre.

I got it thanks to Netgalley!

FREAKS OF THE HEARTLAND by STEVE NILES & GREG RUTH (Ilustrator).FROM GOODREADS:

Under the weathered skies of America's heartland, and in the wounded hearts of every family in one tiny rural town, a terrible secret has been kept for too many years. Now, a young boy named Trevor must try to keep his younger brother Will from falling victim to the worst fears of a troubled town that can't begin to understand the tragic secret that binds its families together. Some folks would call Trevor's brother a monster. But to Trevor, Will is just another kid trapped in a dark reality he can't comprehend. When the situation moves from bad to worse, and their father threatens to do away with Will, Trevor learns that they're not alone - that "freak" children were born to other families in Gristlewood Valley. Against all odds, and with nothing but love for his brother in his heart, Trevor is going to do whatever he can to get the freak children out of harm's way, if it's not already too late.
MY REVIEW:

My rating: 3.5/5
It could be a four point rating, but a few little things make it a three point five.
For being my first graphic novel is a good result, I am new in this genre but I definitely going to keep looking for this kind of books.
First of all, I loved the artwork. Greg Ruth makes a wonderful job creating this world and every character in it. He uses the colors, the light and the shadows (I don’t know the technical language) in a way that really transports you into the story. Is almost like a movie, because every character features is so well drawn. I took my time to really appreciate it and to understand every meaning behind each drawing.

Steve Niles created a great story. A little bit scary (and I think that’s the main goal) but I really enjoyed it. Between the dialogues and the pictures I got really scared a few times. However there were a few things that I didn’t quite understand. Like the origin of the kids, I get that they all were born this way but I think it could be a little bit more of explanation. Maybe I just didn’t understand it or I missed it. Another thing was that I felt the story really short and I would like to be a little bit longer, not much just a few pages to really understand what happened to them.

In general is a good story, it has a very good message behind it and I loved the main characters. Congratulations to Steve and Greg for a wonderful job.

***
FIND THE BOOK:     Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!!

Search This Blog

Pageviews