Wednesday, July 4, 2012

BETRAYED - Blog Tour Stop


Today I have the pleasure to be one of the stops for the BETRAYED blog tour.
Ednah Walters has kindly answered to my interview also I bring you the book review and some surprises
.

A LITTLE ABOUT THE BOOK.

BETRAYED by EDNAH WALTERS.
FROM GOODREADS.
Lil isn't just an average teenager. She's one of the Nephilim--the descendants of humans and angels--which gives her some serious psi skills and a mission for redemption. Just when Lil thinks she's found a balance between her normal life with human friends and her training to become a Guardian, she's warned that someone close to her will betray her. When the boy she loves starts acting strangely and one of her human friends acquires a supernatural ability, Lil begins to realize that someone is manipulating the people she loves... and won't stop until she's been lured to the dark side.

***

THE INTERVIEW.

Hi and thank you for inviting me to stop by your site on the blog tour for BETRAYED, a Guardian Legacy book
ME:  I haven’t read Awakened, but I didn’t find it hard to understand the story and really enjoy the book. Do you think is important to read the Awakened in order to understand Betrayed?
Ednah:  No, readers don’t need to read Awakened to follow Betrayed because everything that happened in Awakened is summarized in Betrayed. My amazing editor did an amazing job of making sure Betrayed was a stand-alone story.

ME: What things in Betrayed may be difficult to understand without reading Awakened?
Ednah: The reason why Kylie’s friendship is important to Lil. Awakened is not just about Lil meeting Bran for the first time and learning she is different. We get to understand why the friendship with Kylie, a human girl, means so much to her.
ME: How would you describe Betrayed in few words?
Ednah: A story about love, friendship, family and sacrifices.

ME:
Lil is one of my favorite characters ever, she’s so stubborn and not afraid of speak her mind. Did you relate to her in any way? Did you enjoy writing about her?

Ednah: Do I relate to her? In every way. I’m stubborn and never allow something or someone to stop me from doing something I believe in. And I’m always looking for ways to fix things instead of waiting for someone else to do it.
I absolutely enjoyed writing her and watching her grow. I hate reading books where the heroine doesn’t change or grow, so seeing her move from an insecure sixteen year old to the self-assured girl she has become has been fun.

ME:
How do you choose what characteristics to give each type of being?

Ednah: I’m happy you asked that. Somehow my characters tend to speak to me as I write. Lil came across as a strong-willed and gutsy girl who was also insecure about a few things like her hair and her height and she was also socially awkward-at least she was in the beginning. As a Psi, she needs to be strong-willed to do what she does. Bran is unpredictable and a brooder who don’t say much, yet he’s sensitive and loyal to a fault. As someone with an evil brother, he needs to be loyal and as Lil’s boyfriend, he needs to be sensitive. Sykes is a charmer and reckless, and doesn’t apologize for it. He’s everything an energy/fire Guardian should be. Remy is down-to-earth and a good listener, which is great as the co-leader and an only boy in a family of girls. As it turned out, the element they each control suits their personalities. I am still learning more about Izzy and Kim.

ME:
Were you inspired by a real person to create the characters?

Ednah: Not really. I have an overactive imagination and I hear voices. I also watched way too many animé with my kids.

ME:
How did you deal with the fact that she was a half-demon, how did you decide what demon characteristics to give her and which not?

Ednah: As soon as she created lightning, I knew I had to give her that ability and then of course I had to explain it since her grandfather is a Psi. Making her father a nature-bender didn’t even pop in my head until I was writing the last few chapters of Awakened. I didn’t want to make her a Werenephil or Nosferatu because I wanted her to be human-like so readers can identify with her.

ME: 
Was it easy to imagine kids without any human experience like Celeste?

Ednah: Oh yes. I loved writing about Celeste. It is the closest I came to writing about an alien-like character. Angelia is another.

ME:
What can we expect from the next book?

Ednah:The Guardians face an enemy they can’t defeat, and someone close to them dies. At the same time, a decision is made that will send Lil’s life spiraling in a direction that even I didn’t see coming.

ME: 
How long does it take you to write a book?

Ednah:Usually 5 months.

ME: 
What’s your favorite place to write?

Ednah: A desk in a quiet room. Right now that is my oldest daughter’s bedroom. She is away in college and she has corner bedroom in the basement away from heavy traffic. My younger two, 7 and 9, are very demanding, so I can’t work where they can see me.

ME:
Did you ever get to the point of not liking where the story was headed?

Ednah: Oh yes. Usually that happens when I’m forcing my characters to do something they don’t want to do, lol. Like in Betrayed, I wanted them to have a party, but it didn’t work. I think I’ll post the party scene that never happened.

ME: Did you keep notes of ideas that just pop into your head while you’re writing?

Ednah: Oh yes. I have files of ideas, but if it is something to do with the story I’m working on, I let the scene play out in my head. If it is something that happens later in the story, I won’t write it down. I just let the characters guide me to that particular moment.

ME: Did you ever get stuck?

Ednah: Absolutely. Stress does that to me. I am not a plotter, so I rarely sit down and plot chapter by chapter and break down the scenes in each chapter. If I do that, I end up forcing my character to follow a script and get frustrated when they don’t THEN I get stuck. Believe me, I’ve tried plotting and it doesn’t work for me. So I am officially a semi-plotter. Usually, I know what my characters’ goal is and why they have to accomplish it and who their main nemesis is, how the story starts, a few things that will happen in the middle (not where or when) and how the story will end, but I let my characters guide me.

ME: I love music and I always listen to it while I read, do you like to write in silence or with music?
Ednah: Music. I love music.

ME:
Anything else you want to share with us!?
Ednah: Have fun when writing, which means write what you love and enjoy, not what is the latest craze. Case in point, vampires are hot and people love reading about them, yet not everyone is destined to write about vampires. Write what catches your muse and your story will come alive.

THANKS EDNAH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS.
FIND EDNAH IN HER BLOG: HERE. 

****

MY REVIEW.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

WOW! Betrayed is a good reminder of why books about Fallen Angels are so good- full of actions and sexy guys. Fallen Angels, demons, demon-hunters, half-demons, vampires, are always a good choice for a good book, although in this one they have different names, which is a refreshing way of talking about them.

In Betrayed we found Lil who is still fighting with her condition of half-demon (at least I think that how you should call her, given the fact that her father is a demon and a really evil one) and with the burden of being the Chosen One. After a quick reminder of where we’re standing in Lil’s life we are submerged in a story full of action. Like every other story that involves demons, we are surrounded by all types of lies, half-truths and characters that only want what’s best for them. When we think we figure something we are blown away in the next page because we discovered we were wrong.

The relationship between Bran and Lil, is one of my favorites. They have the perfect supernatural relationship, linked in a more intense way than ordinary couples; they add the story the perfect amount of tense, fights, romance and funny dialogues.

The others trainee guardians are also great characters. All of them bring something different to the story and help Lil in so many occasions. And the “adults” characters have great interventions, but is the younger people is who carries the lead.

As far as the bad guys, they are really bad; they don’t care anything else but themselves and their interests. That’s what makes the story good, because when the bad guys turns out to be good, it feels really like a Disney-movie, I love when the evil is just that: EVIL. And the powers that come with the condition of being a demon only add more action to the book.

The story moves very fast and even though the books has more than 300 pages (at least in e-pub format) you never feel like is too long. You just want to know what’s next.

The end has a great hook to leave you waiting for the next book.

FIND THE BOOK:    Photobucket   Photobucket    Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the interview! :) Betrayed sounds so awesome and I'm so glad you really liked it! Thanks for the giveaway, too, Betrayed sounds like an amazing read! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!!!
Leave me a link to your blog and I'll make sure to visit your blog ASAP :)

Search This Blog

Pageviews